LOCH PORTAIN in Garvel for annual overhaul
The Loch Portain is RoRo vehicle and passenger ferry owned by CMAL and operated by CalMac. Built by McTay Marine of Bromborough in 2003
950 GRT 49 M LONG AND 15 M BEAM.
The Loch Portain can carry 146 passengers and 34 cars with a crew of 5.
Built originally for the Sound of Harris crossing. The vessel has 4 water jet propulsion units enabling it to go into shallower water.
She docked at Garvel for 11 days for annual overhaul including
· Swap over of one propulsion unit
· Hull valve overhaul
· Vehicle ramp inspections and steelwork repairs
· Tank cleaning and certification
· Deck (capstans and windlasses) machinery overhauled
· One gearbox removed for overhaul
· One main engine full overhaul
· Full hull HP wash and painting
· Ships safety equipment annual servicing
· Hull steelwork repairs