PS Waverly in Garvel for annual overhaul
PS Waverley is the last seagoing paddle steamer in the world. Built in 1946 by A. & J. Inglis of Glasgow.
Owned by London & North Eastern Railway 1946 – 1948. Caledonian Steam Packet Company 1948 – 1973 and Waverley Excursions to the present day. 693 grt, 73m long and 17.5m beam.
The vessel docked at Garvel for 15 days to carry out annual overhaul including:
- Sea valve removal for overhaul
- Hull ultrasonic thickness survey
- Hull HP wash and paint including decorative painting and window varnishing
- Rudder checks and calibrations
- Starboard springbeam removed and replaced with new
- Paddle wheel radius rods and bushes renewed
- Port alternator removed to workshop for overhaul
- High pressure steam pipe repairs
- Fuel tank cleaning for class survey